Fort Collins DDA to deconstruct vacant Elks Lodge
Deconstruction is a process that, rather than demolition, takes a building apart slowly and saves materials for reuse or recycling.
The nearly 50,000-square-foot building, located at 140 W. Oak St., was purchased by the DDA in 2008 to make way for a new hotel project, but the developer, Corporex, was unable to secure financing for the project because of the economic conditions at the time.
A 2009 study showed that $1 million would be needed to bring the building into compliance with city codes, in addition to development costs.
The building was first constructed in 1907 as a YMCA, and served as the home of the Elks Lodge for more than 70 years.
More breaking news...
Summit Cos. to build restaurant, entertainment venue near Ranch
The Business Report, competing against news organizations from Colorado,
Woodward's Illinois expansion larger than expected
A planned 300,